Wednesday, June 8

Mrs. Robinson has left and gone away.



"Oh no, Mrs. Robinson. I think, I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends. I mean that." (Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate," 1967)

The first time I saw "The Graduate" was when we watched it in my AP English class my senior year of high school, toward the end of the school year when we were into the literature and culture of the '60s. It instantly became one of my favorite movies of all time (and still is), and Anne Bancroft's role as Mrs. Robinson has to be one of the sexiest female characters ever portrayed on film. Of course, it might have helped that she was only 36 years old when "The Graduate" was released -- only six years older than Dustin Hoffman, interestingly enough, and thus only nine years older than Katharine Ross, who was supposed to be her daughter.

Other phun phacts: Jeanne Moreau and Patricia Neal were also considered for the role of Mrs. Robinson, and Robert Redford, Warren Beatty, Burt Ward, and Jack Nicholson (Jack Nicholson!) were considered for the role of Benjamin. Dustin Hoffman ended up getting the part because he was the only one considered goofy and awkward enough to properly play the part. (And you'll never guess who was originally considered for the role of Benjamin's dad.)

Anyway, Anne Bancroft died on Monday at the age of 73, and it's a sad day. So long, Mrs. Robinson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we should envy her as well for being married to Mel Brooks for these decades and feel sorrow for him as well. What an extraordinary woman. What extraordinary people. Unfortunately not common anymore.