Thursday, June 23

"I'm going to criticize the administration one of these days -- I just don't feel like it right now."

Whenever I say something really pissed-off and critical about George W. Bush on this site, you can practically set your watch by what happens next: First some conservative or conservative leaner will leave an indignant comment about how hateful and divisive I'm being, issuing knee-jerk condemnations of every single thing Bush does. Then I'll respond with a comment asking why it's any better to just go right along with every single thing Bush does. Then they'll respond with an indignant comment about "Hey, I don't agree with every single thing Bush does, I'm perfectly willing to disagree with him when he or his administration does something wrong," blah blah blah.

Oh, you are? Great for you and your independent, free-thinking little selves. So how come I don't ever freaking hear it?

You think our leaders in Washington haven't committed enough resources to the war effort? Hey, I got an idea: Speak up about it. Don't leave it to liberals like me, because the Washington Kool Kids will just roll their eyes and dismiss the criticism as coming from just another wild-eyed liberal kook. Your small-government conservative sensibilities are offended by the way Republicans in Congress are spending money? Fucking tell them so! 'Cause they're sure not listening to me -- now that Bush has won re-election with that massive, throbbing 51% majority, his guys on the Hill are thinking "mandate" and that means they can totally ignore the 49% that I'm in. You want them to spend less money? Wow, I want them to spend less money! Great, we're in complete agreement! So howsabout you proud, independent, free-thinking, non-Kool-Aid-drinking conservatives get off your asses and give me a hand here? I've been bitching about this for years, but for some reason I haven't heard a peep out of you.

When Dick Durbin decried the way human beings were being treated at Gitmo, you got all huffy and demanded to know what I thought of Durbin's comments. Like I was personally responsible for what he said. Well, guess what? Yesterday Karl Rove said it was the "motive" of Durbin, and indeed all liberals, to put our troops' lives in danger. Karl Rove, the president's right-hand man, said liberals -- a group that happens to include yours truly -- want our troops to die! Is that OK with you? Not shocking enough to be worth your precious time talking about it?

You get mad at me when I criticize the president, saying I'm being divisive and contributing to the growing rancor and hatred in this country. OK, so what's Rove doing? He just wrote off 49% of the country as people who want to see our troops get killed. You grumble at me for being divisive; you got any of that tsk-tsking left over for Karl?

It's like this, free-thinking conservatives: You talk a good game about being open-minded and being willing to criticize your own guys, but I have yet to see the rubber meet the road. You say it's a bad thing when liberals like me say stuff that might be inflammatory or divisive, but when a conservative does it, it's like you've all decided to wash your hair at the exact same time -- not a word out of any of you. Not in a column, not on TV, not on a blog, not on a hog, not in a box, not with a fox. Silence. You could hear a pin drop on a pool table.

So it's time to either shit or get off the pot. Demonstrate some of this independence, show me some example of this wellspring of free thought that allows you to be so critical of your own side, or I'm going to have to assume one of two things: 1) You're not actually as independent as you claim to be, or 2) you are pretty independent but you're a total pussy.

But being the nice guy that I am, I'll let you pick which one. That's my own personal olive branch I'm extending to you. 'Cause the last thing I want to be is divisive.

14 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Dang.

Doug, you're so right on. I just finished my own entry about this, and I wasted a half hour when I ccould have just linked the hell over here.

Anonymous said...

Okay - Rove's comments were dumb and intended as red meat to a conservative crowd.

And I am not a liberal and would not vote for you chosen candidate in a month of Sundays.

But I cannot be categorized anymore than you can.

jOoLz said...

*sigh* how anonymous of anonymous... i think he's not as independent as he thinks AND he's a pussy.

you rool doug... if i weren't married, i'd have 10,000 of your babies.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Rove's comments were evil.

I have no doubt that he knew exactly what he was saying. After all, eqauting dissent with treason is pretty much the next step in consolidating power. The detention camps are set, the abrogation of rights has been prepared,now, as Ann Coulter said, just lock up and execute a few liberals and it'll be all set.

And anon apparently missed the whole point of your bit, Doug (what else is new hey); he doesn't have to vote for a dem candidate, just stand up against the blatantly undemocratic things being done by conservatives.

But Doug, I still don't think I'm gonna have any of your babies. Sorry man.

Kevin said...

Semi-off-topic, but did anyone see the Karl Rove character on "American Dad" last Sunday? They nailed it on the head...friggin' hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I personally think anyone who says something "outrageous" then apologizes for it is a wuss. Durbin meant what he said and should stick by it. Not do a semi-back shuffle then a full retreat. Rove's the same way. He meant what he said. Any apology is pure bullshit. Hell, Trent Lott meant what he said about Strom. Dean means everything he says. Let the voters decide what is outrageous and what isn't. If you're going to open your pie hole and spew out red meat, at least have the balls to put up with the flack you'll likely get. And anyone demanding an apology over this kind of stuff is a wuss too.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that Steve should bring that up now instead of two posts ago.

Anonymous said...

Another think I noticed today, remember the Marine Corp Private that said he was in Bhagdad a week or so ago? Turns out the marines are not stationed in Bhagdad, they are to the west according to an article i surfed to from Instapundit. Isn't that strange?

Anonymous said...

He didn't say he was stationed in Baghdad. He didn't say where he was stationed. Isn't that strage?

Anonymous said...

"Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe, an 18 year-old grunt, someone's brother, a father, a mother, a sister is nervously moving through a BAGHDAD (Emphisis added) alley, in 110 degree temperature, with 40 pounds of gear, their weapon's safety off, waiting to get shot or fragged."

Hmmm Steve, looks like he did say Baghdad after all....

Anonymous said...

Bill, The Baghdad comment is from some other Steve (I have no clue what you guys are talking about). As far as apologies, I didn't bring it up 2 posts ago because I didn't disagree with Doug's comments and decided a "Yeah Man you are sooooo right" wasn't worth the keystrokes.

Anonymous said...

So, there are NO marines in Baghdad? I guess these marines are in Baghdad, New Jersey.

http://www.nato.int/shape/news/2005/i050126a.htm

Anonymous said...

Bill, it was good to see you at the parade this weekend. Stay sweet and say hi to Bruth for me.

Anonymous said...

I didn't make any parades this weekend, you must have mistaken your boyfriend for me. My eing a devout heterosexual means I don't have to go to your gay pride marchs. While we are busy stereotyping our opposition Anon (which is latin for "too chickenshit to stand behind what they say") how was the cross burning? Did that work out for you what with your mom/sister doing the role of Grand Wizrob this year?