Saturday, August 6

In response to Hank Williams Jr.'s question: Yes.

OK, so it didn't mean anything either in the grand scheme of things or the NFL standings, but the Atlanta Falcons beat the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL's first pre-season game behind two touchdown passes from my Wahoo homey Matt Schaub, so that's something good. My Blazer homey Roddy White caught one pass for, uh . . . -1 yards, but hey, he's a rookie. He'll get there.

Meanwhile, in the world of college football, USA Today announced the results of their preseason coaches' poll on Friday, and it goes a little something like this:

1. Southern California (60 first-place votes)
2. Texas (2)
3. Tennessee
4. Michigan
5. Oklahoma
6. LSU
7. Virginia Tech
8. Miami (Fla.)
9. Ohio State
10. Iowa
11. Florida
12. Florida State
13. Georgia
14. Louisville
15. Auburn
16. Purdue
17. Texas A&M
18. Arizona State
19. Boise State
20. California
21. Texas Tech
22. Boston College
23. Virginia
24. Alabama
25. Pittsburgh

Lucky number 13 sounds about right for the Dawgs. I might've dropped them a slot to 14 -- I think should be ranked above FSU at this point, at least until the Seminoles can straighten out their QB situation, but below Louisville and Purdue -- but I'll take them where they are. My guess is they'll probably lose at least one game they should've won, upset at least one team they should've lost to, and come out of the regular season with 8 or 9 wins and a third-place finish in the Eastern Division, along with an invitation to play Iowa or Michigan in the Outback Bowl.

As far as the national-title game goes, I'm guessing Southern Cal vs. Ohio State, but I'm not putting any money on it just yet.

Anyway, we've talked politics enough on this frickin' blog, so it's time to talk about something important for once -- consider this an open thread to discuss everything football. Where your college team will end up, who you like in the NFL, which teams are underrated/overrated, that sort of thing.

Oh, also if you want to help me pick out a name for my fantasy team, go ahead and make some suggestions. I'm thinking about going back to The Sloppy Seconds, which buoyed me to double-digit wins and playoff appearances in '01 and '02, but I'm not averse to something topical, like the Last Throes or the Fightin' Scientologists. Any name will be considered as long as it looks good on a league-championship trophy I can lord over these two bastards.

Off you go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Football sounds way more enjoyable than politics. I'm not very good at coming up with good team names but I'll think about it for you. So what are your NFL teams? Who are you seeing in the Super Bowl? I'm going to say the Colts....hahaha just kidding. I'm really starting to wonder about my wonderful champion Pats. The new guys that they're bringing in for the defense better be good. I'm really quite sad about the Bruschi situation. He was my fave player. For the nat'l-title in college are you really serious about Ohio State? I'd have to agree with you on Southern Cal. There's no stopping the Trojans. I'll have to think about USC's opponent though.

Anonymous said...

Too early to gloat about my Vols, they have to get past Florida and some team from just east of Atlanta... hell with the Vols they have to get past everybody, including the circuit court judge in Knox Co... but I must say I am pleased...

Kevin said...

Ah football...

Redskins/Ravens scrimmage highlights available here:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens07aug07,1,244022.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Sorry Doug...you and baby sis can join the Ravens bandwagon whenever you want though. = )

GO RAVENS!!!!! Brian Billick in '08!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohio's got some real good looking freshmen coming in - real track-star speed for their running backs, for one. Go with 'em, Doug - Mike says they won't disappoint you! Maybe I should point him your way, so he does not have to chew my ear off all the time!