Friday, April 29

Signs of the coming apocalypse/excuses to not do laundry tonight, and the Friday Random Ten.

In addition to being a kind of scary-looking guy who doesn't see what the big deal is about all those priests molesting altar boys, Pope Benedict XVI is -- you ready for this? -- a sign that the end of the world is near. G$#dammit, did none of the cardinals bother to look at that part on Ratzinger's resume? "Experienced in use of Microsoft Word and Excel; proficient in HTML and Java, as well as all seven sacraments; papacy would speed the coming of the End of Days."

But it's not like we even needed another sign of the coming apocalypse, what with the plague of exploding toads in Germany, Paris Hilton talking about becoming a mom, and oh, yeah, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes becoming an item.

Oh, and Ahmed Chalabi being named the fucking oil minister in the new Iraqi government. The same Ahmed Chalabi who whispered sweet nothings into the ears of the Bush administration about how occupying Iraq would be easier than a game of Candy Land and then turned right around and started cozying up to Iran. Why is he occupying the Tony Montana Executive Suite at the Iraqi Oil Ministry right now and not a jail cell? Dozens of Iraqi prisoners, many of them completely innocent, get paraded around naked at Abu Ghraib and sodomized, and we couldn't save a glow stick for this guy?

Christ. I can't think about this anymore, it's making my head hurt. Here's the Friday Random Ten for this week, and after that I'm putting my brain in Hibernate mode until 5 o'clock rolls around and it's beer-consumption time.

1. Avenue Q cast, "I Wish I Could Go Back to College" (lyrics here)
2. Pet Shop Boys, "Up Against It"
3. Air, "Sexy Boy"
4. DJ Shadow, "Six Days"
5. Beck, "Soul Suckin Jerk"
6. Jefferson Airplane, "Volunteers"
7. Pet Shop Boys, "A Red Letter Day" (Basement Jaxx remix)
8. Thomas Dolby, "She Blinded Me With Science"
9. Dead Kennedys, "Let's Lynch the Landlord"
10. A Tribe Called Quest, "Money Maker"

If you've got an iPod or some kind of mp3 player, put your own Random Ten in the comments below, and if you don't have one . . . just put in the names of ten songs you really like, or something. Look, I'm not your dad. You don't need my permission for every little thing.

12 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Husker Du - You're A Soldier
Alice In Chains - No Excuses
Utopia - Mimi Gets Mad
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - The Kindness of Strangers
Elvis Costello - Lipstick Vogue
Big Country - 13 Valleys
Patti Smith - 1959
Rush - Earthshine
Dinosaur Jr. - Just Like Heaven
R.E.M. - Get Up


I think my iPod is trying to change my mood.


Bonus random, just cuz it's a cool song:

Bob Geldof - $6,000,000 Loser

ACG said...

1. Frank Sinatra, "Witchcraft"
2. Pulp, "Mile End"
3. Hugh Masekela, "Mama"
4. Michelle Branch, "Are You Happy Now?"
5. Diane Schuer, "Impossible"
6. Chad & Jeremy, "A Summer Song"
7. Diana Krall, "Why Should I Care"
8. Ella Fitzgerald, "Wait Till You See Him (De-Phazz Remix)
9. Kay Starr, "I Never Knew I Could Love"
10. Devo, "Whip It"

Unusually jazz-heavy today. My iPod must know it's Friday.

Josh M. said...

OK, here's my own Friday Random 10. And I'll be completely honest, which could potentially be embarrassing:

1) U2, "Holy Joe" (Garage Mix)
2) Outkast, "Spaghetti Junction"
3) Outkast, "Funky Ride"
4) Dusty Springfield, "Son of a Preacher Man"
5) The Beach Boys, "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder"
6) Outkast, "F-Mac (Interlude)"
7) Baz Luhrmann, "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)"
8) U2, "Stay (Faraway, So Close)"
9) Public Enemy, "A Letter to the NY Post"
10) Goddamnit...

John Williams, "Lando's Palace" (from the "Empire Strikes Back" soundtrack)

I didn't have anything really embarrassing until the last one. Oh well, at least the theme from "Steel Magnolias" didn't come up.

... Uh, because it's TOTALLY NOT EVEN ON THERE! Like, PSHAW!

Cassie Schoon said...

1. The Offspring, Worst Hangover Ever
2. Moby, We Are All Made of Stars
3. Outkast, I Like the Way You Move
4. Ella Fitzgerald, Lady Be Good
5. Elvis Costello, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?
6. Beck, Que Onda Guero
7. Ramones, The KKK Took My Baby Away
8. Nekko Case, Deep Red Bells
9. Kings of Leon, Slow Night, So Long
10. The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army

Anonymous said...

I'll start with my random 10 then move on to Pope Benedict XVI and then skip over to Naked Furniture (don't know how to include a link in this format) to try to goad Mary out of her blog absence by pointing out the lack of feminist outrage over the most hilarious Ann Coulter Greek tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Random 10 from my iPod
1. Goin' Home (Ten Years After)
2. Don't Make Me Dream About You (Chris Isaak)
3. Save Me (Queen)
4. Dear Mr. President (4 Non Blondes)
5. Bloody Mary (Five For Fighting)
6. Genitalia of a Fool (Glenn Tlbrook)
7. All I Need is a Miracle (Mike and the Mechanics)
8. Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)
9. What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)
10. All Day Music (War)

Anonymous said...

Pope Benedict XVI.... Since you've been following his rise (will point out you didn't pick him in your bracket pool, but regardless)and have pointed out the child abuse atrocities, can't help but speak a little about it. Personally spent half the 60s and 70s in a Catholic school and most of the 70s as an alter boy in a parish with 12 priests. Was never molested, but in retrospect that could have been because I was an ugly kid versus the stud I am now.

Anonymous said...

What bothers me most is I can't fathom how/why/what the fuck were they thinking in the Catholic hierarchy that allowed these sick bastards to hang around. Being from that "flock" and knowing, very well, some of these people, it just doesn't add up. I stood on my mother's porch a year or so a go while she stumbled through a question about my alter boy years. Imagine your mother asking you if Father Bernard stuck his dick up your ass.

Anonymous said...

None of the men I knew from the church were anything but what you would expect a priest to be, but obviously, others were not. How the shitty stuff happens I don't know and how the higher ups ignore it just baffles me. I have never been a religious person, even as I scratched my ass in a cassack serving mass, but I never felt that those men I was serving along side were anything but "holy" people.

Anonymous said...

I have always assumed that the bishops, cardinals and popes were descended from the men I knew in the church and would neither be abusers or codone abusers. I guess I was wrong. In B XVIs defense, he's no worse that JPII who should have castrated hundreds during his 20+ yeb.ars in the top job

Anonymous said...

ok, I'm tired and will have to wait until tomorrow to poke a stick at Mary. Sorry if these posts have been shitty downers.

Anonymous said...

It's Sunday, but here's my random 10, heard during the afternoon bike ride:

1. "Lie Still Little Bottle," They Might Be Giants
2. "Champs," Wire
3. "How Soon Is Now," the Smiths
4. "Delicado," Russ Garcia and His Orchestra
5. "Baby Got Back," Sir Mix a Lot
6. "Meaning of Life," Monty Python
7. "Knodelpolka," Die Knodel
8. "I Am Stretched on Your Grave," Sinead O'Connor
9. "Letterbomb," Green Day
10. "Harry Truman," Stan Ridgway