Friday, February 2
Friday Random Ten and fat/non-fat update.
With an indeterminate number of precincts reporting, Hey Jenny Slater is calling the Great Tyra Banks Fat/Non-Fat Debate of 2007 for "Not Fat" -- actually, "Hott with Two Ts," which as of now has taken just under 80 percent of the vote. So I guess we can officially dismiss Tyra's alleged fatness as a more or less purely tabloid-constructed phenomenon. I believe all the more salient points have already been made, so I'll simply say this: I wasn't one of those people who vowed to leave the United States if George Bush got elected in 2004, or if we invaded Iraq, or whatever, but if we ever get to the point in this country where a 5'10", 161-pound, 34DD-packing woman is considered gross, I am getting the hell out of here.
Anyhoo. The Ten:
1. Moby, "Find My Baby"
2. Radiohead, "Morning Bell"
3. Shane MacGowan and the Popes, "That Woman's Got Me Drinking"
4. DJ Shadow, "Ape Shall Never Kill Ape"
5. Johnny Cash, "Mary of the Wild Moor"
6. The Human League, "Human"
7. James Brown, "Give It Up or Turn It Loose"
8. A Tribe Called Quest, "Oh My God" (remix)
9. David Cross, "Flying on a Mexican Plane"
10. U2, "The Wanderer"
and a bonus 11th -- no, I'm not even going to name it on here. I'm too embarrassed. I'm simply going to put the video up here and see how many people remember how f'ing huge this was on MTV back in, like, 1985.
Last but not least: Colts 31, Bears 16.
Toss your own Random Tens, embarrassing '80s music memories, Super Bowl XLI predictions, whatever in the comments.