Friday, October 3

The Friday Random Ten+5 is takin' it easy this weekend.

So Georgia has a bye this week, and as I've said before, it couldn't be coming at a better time, what with our team looking like that scene in "Atonement" where the beat-up, bloody, and in some cases limbless masses of British soldiers were sitting around at Dunkerque waiting to be rescued. You might think that I'm not gonna know what to do with myself without a Georgia game to watch, but oh-ho-ho, I've got a pretty full weekend planned. Not an exciting one, necessarily, but perhaps after seeing my team down 31-0 to someone in their own stadium, a little non-excitement is exactly what the doctor ordered. Here are the Five Things On My Not-Terribly-Exciting Agenda For This Weekend:



Watch "Iron Man"
I somehow missed this movie when it was actually in theatres, but I was interested enough in seeing it that I went ahead and got it at Costco the other day. After seeing Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder," though, I almost wonder if I'm gonna be able to handle seeing him play a white guy.



Take the dogs to the park
After being horribly neglectful of my dogs over the summer, it's time to actually get them out of the house and let them run around a little, now that the temperature has gone below 90 and I can actually take them outside for more than 30 minutes at a time.



Watch the Auburn-Vanderbilt game
OK, I have to have at least one "marquee" game on my viewing list, and this one's it; as was probably apparent after my last BlogPoll ballot, I need to get another glimpse of this ranked, 4-0 Vandy team before I can be sure they're for real. What I'm probably going to be more interested to see, though, is how Vanderbilt students react to having "College Gameday" in town for the very first time. Vandy, y'all are supposed to be the smart kids of the SEC, so I'm counting on you to come up with something original and funny, and not just a bunch of "Our Johnson is Bigger Than Your _______" signs floating around behind Herbstreit and Corso.



Work on some non-blog writing
Because I don't live my life to serve you people.



A shitload of laundry
I didn't say they were all winners. But I've got to chip into this mountain at least a little if I want to have some clean underwear to wear to work on Monday. Not that I object to going commando in principle, but there are just some things you don't bring into the workplace environment.

And now, the Ten:

1. Nanci Griffith, "Love at the Five and Dime"
2. DJ Shadow, "Dark Days (Main Theme)"
3. Ambrosia, "Inside Your Arms"
4. Lou Reed, "Walk on the Wild Side"
5. Moby, "Extreme Ways"
6. Elton John, "Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)"
7. Miles Davis, "So What"
8. Deee-Lite, "Good Beat"
9. Talking Heads, "And She Was"
10. Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"

Your Random Tens and/or plans for the weekend -- which almost have to be more exciting than mine by default -- in the comments, por favor.

9 comments:

Josh M. said...

Iron Man is pretty freakin' awesome, though I do quibble with the film's morals ("nobody should have weapons - except me, of course").

Anonymous said...

Adam's 16 year old cousin is visiting from Knoxville and we're taking her to see Hanson at a bar in Louisville. How jealous are you?

Anonymous said...

I was going to brag about the pork I am smoking (not a metaphor) this weekend demonstrating to the philistines I live around that
1) BBQ is a noun, not a verb; and 2)Beef isn't involved, but Baxley easily wins.

Jessica said...

My schedule? White coat ceremony at my medical school, and subsequently dealing with my parents staying with me and their desire to schmooze with faculty. I think your weekend plan is far cooler and exciting than mine.

Probably no football, though -- med school is taking all of my time.

ACG said...

How on earth did you get Jenna and Champ to stand still enough to get that picture?

Probably didn't have an insane puppy around to literally bug the piss out of them.

Anonymous said...

Two things: 1. (this post): Your dogs are beyond ridiculously cute, and, 2. (post below): Relief, indeed. I wouldn't want anything to do with that game. Good thing for me (and the rest of America) we have no chance of getting there.

Jim said...

Good tune pics. Not sure these will be on Gameday, but here are some signs this alumnus and friends are bringing tomorrow:

Revenge of the Nerds! (with Keith Carradine headshot)
The Geeks Shall Inherit the Turf
Fold Your Athletic Department
Intramurals Are Fun
Same OLD (crossed out) NEW Vandy
A-U, Get Off My Cloud

Anonymous said...

"Because I don't live my life to serve you people."

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Anonymous said...

Jim, I saw both the Revenge of the Nerds sign and The Geeks shall inherit the Turf (in gold no less) today. Good job! I didn't make the game as my hook up for tickets left after a cheerleading scandal and it was sold out by the time I thought to actually buy some on the notion that it might sell out... I don't remember the last time Vandy sold out. For once the scalpers on West End made money.