Monday, August 11

Not-So-Friday Not-So-Random Ten: In my head, I'm already gone.

So it occurred to me sometime over the weekend that I've kind of totally flaked on the blog for several days now. I'll be honest with you, the well was completely dry last week for a Random Ten+5, and between continued living-space issues, a big charity event on Thursday, visitors from out of town, and racing frantically to tie up some last loose ends at work, it hasn't gotten any wetter. So . . . how do I make up for this, you ask? If you're me, you make up for it by blowing off the rest of the week, going to the beach, and neglecting the blog for another five or six days. Auf widersehen, assholes!

I'm just kidding, of course. Kind of. I don't know. Maybe. Ordinarily I'd feel guilty about blowing off both blog and work to go indulge myself for six days, but after the last couple weeks I've determined that I've earned the right to look out for Number One and no one else for a few days. (And by "look out for" I mean "tan, rest, and intoxicate," of course.) Now, I'll still have Internet access down in Seagrove Beach, but I don't know how convenient it'll be -- and I won't lie to you, given the choice between sitting on the beach with a 12-pack and tapping out thousand-word treatises on Georgia's national-championship hopes on my iPhone, I'm gonna go with the one that doesn't involve anything more physically or mentally taxing than converting Corona into urine. But I'm sure I'll be able to throw y'all a bone or two in between hangovers.

While I try to figure out what exactly that's going to entail, here's a get-the-hell-out-of-town-and-head-for-the-beach-themed Not-So-Random Ten before Holly blows a fuse.

1. Blur, "Get Out of Cities"
2. The Chemical Brothers, "Leave Home"
3. A Tribe Called Quest, "Excursions"
4. Fatboy Slim, "The Weekend Starts Here"
5. Dead Kennedys, "Funland at the Beach"
6. Bobby Darin, "Beyond the Sea"
7. Beck, "Tropicalia"
8. DT8 Project, "The Sun Is Shining (Down on Me)"
9. Happy Mondays, "Lazyitis"
10. Modest Mouse, "Ocean Breathes Salty"

Put your own Tens, be they Random or Not-So-, in the comments. And spare me your jealousy-fueled scolding about what a lazy absentee blogger I am. It'll only make me laugh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, have you checked the weather? It's going to be raining down there the rest of the week. I was going to go to Pensacola for the week, but it's not really worth it without the beach part.

Holly said...

I HAVE NEEDS, Doug. (What?) See you at the beach bar...

1. The Cure - Fascination Street
2. The Little Ones - Lovers Who Uncover
3. Positive K - I Got a Man
4. Ben Folds - Mess
5. Wilco - Muzzle of Bees
6. Calexico - Yours and Mine
7. Billie Holiday - Why Was I Born?
8. The Streets - The Escapist
9. Alison Krauss - Faraway Land
10. Erykah Badu - Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)

Anonymous said...

no more "mr. nice guy" anymore, huh? Just move out of my way or get run over on my way to the beer/beach/babe?

Anonymous said...

We're going to be in Destin this Thursday to Sunday. Give us a holler if you want some Corona drinkin'/fried seafood platter eatin' company.