Friday, March 30

Friday Random Ten: Most Excellent Banzai Video Explosion!

For someone who effectively had a two-day (actually, one-and-a-half-day) workweek, I'm reeeally glad it's Friday. One more day of convalescing and I may actually be able to walk down two flights of stairs without having to stop to catch my breath. In the meantime, here's the Ten.

1. Patton Oswalt, "Toronto Open Mike"
2. Pet Shop Boys, "One More Chance" (7" mix)
3. U2, "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
4. 3rd Bass, "Oval Office"
5. Human League, "Human"
6. Pet Shop Boys, "Birthday Boy"
7. Miles Davis, "All Blues"
8. Ludacris, "Rollout (My Business)"
9. The Smiths, "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side"
10. Depeche Mode, "Sweetest Perfection"

For a full visual representation of the diversity of my music collection, I bring you Nos. 5 and 8, side-by-side. Play them simultaneously and it's just like doing 'shrooms!



And with all due respect to Josh, I believe this is, in fact, the greatest music video ever made:



The original version of the song is below for those of you born before 1980 -- the full version of the video, no less, and thanks to commenter JasonC for jogging my memory of just how weird this seemed back in '83.



Your own Random Tens and/or greatest video nominees in the comments.

10 comments:

Josh M. said...

Dammit, I don't get the Youtubes at work. I'm so curious as to what could be better than The Zabka. Because, really - nothing could be.

Anonymous said...

Nothing is better Take on Me by ??? Whoever it was, it was greatness.

The Fashion Diva said...

Dammit - I can't get YouTube at work either.

Oh and Sarah, Take On Me is by A-Ha. ;)

My Random 10...

Back to the 80s for me today -

1. "Video Killed The Radio Star" - The Buggles
2. "867-5309/Jenny" - Tommy Tutone
3. "Stepping Out" - Joe Jackson
4. "Rapture" - Blondie
5. "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" - The Gap Band
6. "Let It Whip" - Dazz Band
7. "Harden My Heart" - Quarterflash
8. "Heat Of The Moment" - Asia
9. "Celebration" - Kool & The Gang
10. "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell

Greatest vid nominees...ooh would have to think about that for awhile although "Big Time" by Peter G comes to mind. ;)

Anonymous said...

If you think that video is weird, check out some of the old school Yes album covers. They still are the greatest, and weirdest, album covers of all time.

Also if you play the Ludacris and Human League videos at the same time they produce the infamous "brown note."

Anonymous said...

I played the videos simultaneously and was really looking forward to some The Dark Side of the Moon meets The Wizard of Oz moment. Needless to say I'm terribly let down, not to mention slightly scarred by that strange Yes video.

1. Melissa Etheridge, “Come to my Window”
2. Kate Earl, “Someone to Love”
3. Florida State University Marching Chiefs, “The Big Eight Sequence”
4. U2, “Pride (In the Name of Love)”
5. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition”
6. Weezer, “Slob”
7. Norah Jones, “Don’t Miss You at All”
8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “All Along the Watchtower”
9. Coldplay, “In My Place”
10. Camper Van Beethoven, “Take the Skinheads Bowling”

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention my nominee for greatest video: "Land of Confusion" by Genesis. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gBdUz_IJ4VA

Anonymous said...

Sarah, the band you are looking for is "Aha", they were a one hit wonder from Sweden. (Why yes, it is sad that I know that off the top of my head, thanks for asking)

Best video? Hard to say, but best video for a mediocre song had to be "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel. All of his prior work up until then was leading to that acme of oddity (see Games without Frontiers for further ex pat Genesis weirdness.)

jkelsofarrell said...

better late than never:
"Not a Second Time" The Beatles
"Hey Boy Hey Girl" Chemical Brothers
"Mellow Song" Blur
"Days and Days" Concrete Blonde
"Women Wine and Song" Umphrey's McGee
"Starshine" Gorillaz
"Jumping Someone Else's Train" The Cure
"The Source" Built to Spill
"Hong Kong Garden" Siouxsie & the Banshees
"Big Day Coming" Yo La Tengo

Anonymous said...

I was always partial to "Close to the edit" by Art of Noise, although at the risk of dating myself I think I saw it on Night Flight on the USA network, rather than on MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFK0-lcjGU&mode=related&search=

Michael Pigott said...

Is that Miles Davis "All Blues" w/ John Coltrane? If so, kudos on excellent taste.