Last week Ann brought us a new meme (originally started by Feministe) that gives us the chance to talk ourselves up a little. As Ann writes, people in general "are conditioned to be self-deprecating, to avoid bragging, to apologize for our virtues and play up our faults," and nobody knows this better than me; someday when you've got seven or eight hours to spare I'll tell you about my miserable preadolescence and the havoc it continues to wreak upon my self-esteem to this day. Anyway, while I occasionally do some sarcastic bragging on this site about my brilliance or whatever, it's almost always in jest. Feministe's meme encourages us to do some honest-to-goodness, no-fooling, don't-be-ashamed-of-ourselves proclaiming of our best aspects -- which, as Ann says, isn't as easy as it sounds:
[M]y addendum to that is that you must list them unapologetically, without joking, making excuses, or trying to balance the good with the bad. When I first tried doing this, it was one of the hardest things I've done, not because I couldn't think of things I like about myself, but because I couldn't brag. Couldn't do it. If I was loving on my legs, it was always with the caveat that "while they aren't the thinnest gams out there..." and if I was loving on my sense of humor, it was "some might disagree..." When did that happen?
Well, I'm gonna give it a shot, and augment this week's Friday Random Ten with a bonus Not-So-Random Five of stuff that is awesome about me. Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and blah blah hmmmm zzzzzzz. Anyway, the Five:
1. I'm a good writer. And you think so, too, or you wouldn't be here.
2. I have a pretty good sense of humor, which you also agree with.
3. I'm willing to put other people's happiness and/or comfort ahead of my own, going out of my way and making personal sacrifices if necessary.
4. I am a machine at Scrabble.
5. I'm hung like a horse. Or so I've been told.
Affirming, no? I encourage y'all to do this on your own sites. It's a nifty little confidence-builder. And now, the Ten:
1. Morrissey, "The World is Full of Crashing Bores"
2. The Strokes, "Soma"
3. Gorillaz, "Left Hand Suzuki Method"
4. R.E.M., "Untitled"
5. The Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Meadow Lark"
6. Underworld, "Two Months Off" (edit)
7. Modest Mouse, "Dig Your Grave"
8. Sting, "I Miss You Kate"
9. Public Enemy, "Night of the Living Baseheads"
10. R.E.M., "Funtime"
Put your own five affirmations and/or your own ten songs in the comments. You are a winner!