Sunday, March 5

And the Oscar for most stupefyingly, cringingly, godawfully "No they did not" Academy Awards moment goes to . . .

. . . the point at which I was forced to retract every impassioned defense I'd ever made of Hollywood as not being a bunch of elitist, out-of-touch, dumbass liberals, when the Academy implied that "The Day After Tomorrow" belonged up there with "Network," "Hotel Rwanda," "To Kill a Mockingbird," et al. in the montage of Political Movies That Have Changed Our Times.

Jesus Christ. Calling "The Day After Tomorrow" a serious movie about global warming is like calling "2 Fast 2 Furious" a serious statement about highway safety. Way to fucking go, guys.

Well, at least Jon Stewart skewered the whole thing appropriately. I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

LD said...

You're right about _The Day After Tomorrow_, but I also thought it was kind of funny that they included _Thelma and Louise_ in that same montage. Call it good, call it "groundbreaking" (though I'd argue with either description), but I don't see how Thelma and Louise is a "message" movie. What's the message? Abused women can overcome their difficulties by running from the police and killing themselves?

Riley said...

Oh, that DAY AFTER TOMORROW inclusion was HILARIOUS. I forgot about that. My favorite moment in DAY AFTER TOMORROW was when Jake Gyllenhaal outran "cold."

Yost said...

Doug,

Glad somebody else noticed that DAY AFTER TOMORROW inclusion with some of the greatest movies of all time. Was watching it with my wife and we both cracked up. You hit the nail on the head with that one.