Tuesday, June 5

The not-so-random 25, updated.

UPDATED AGAIN to reflect the fact that Georgia is actually tied with Cal at #12 (thanks to Paul Westerdawg for pointing that out -- that's what I get for not looking closely enough at my own spreadsheet). I've heard that the Sporting News preseason CFB magazine has just hit the shelves, so when I get my hands on that I'll add it to the mix.

By the way, welcome, readers of David Ching's Georgia blog -- keep checking in periodically, as there'll be lots more Georgia stuff on here as we get closer to football season.


THANK YOU, SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?: The Sporting News's rankings are in. View the updated rankings here.

As requested by a commenter, I've located Phil Steele's preseason top 25 (viewable here if you don't have a copy of Steele's JAMPACKED WITH INFORMATION! preseason mag yet) and factored his rankings into the rankings matrix I put together last week to round out a baker's dozen of preseason top-25 guesses by some of the more prominent pundits. Not all that many major changes, but given Steele's penchant for swinging for the fences with his predictions, there were a few shake-ups in the overall rankings. Here's the new 25:

1. Southern California
2. LSU
3. West Virginia
4. Michigan
5. Florida
6. Texas
7. Wisconsin
8. Oklahoma
9. Virginia Tech
10. Louisville
11. Ohio State
12. (tie) California
12. (tie) Georgia
14. Auburn
15. Arkansas
16. Rutgers
17. Tennessee
18. Nebraska
19. UCLA
20. Texas A&M
21. Penn State
22. Texas Christian
23. South Carolina
24. Florida State
25. (tie) Boston College
25. (tie) Hawaii
25. (tie) Wake Forest

Others receiving votes who weren't receiving votes before: Oregon and Missouri.

View the full expanded statistics in a Google spreadsheet here.

What's changed: Georgia jumps two three spots to #13 a tie with Cal at #12; Auburn and Arkansas, nowhere to be found on Phil's top 25, fall one spot each. Penn State and TCU switch places at #21 and #22. Instead of a Boston College/Wake Forest tie at #24, we have Florida State at that spot, with BC and Wake being joined by Hawaii for a particularly interesting ménage a trois at #25.

What hasn't: Everything at #12 #11 and northward, including Southern California being a unanimous #1. Alabama and Notre Dame are still on the outside looking in.

What has me scratching my head: Hawaii at number twelve, Phil? Auburn and Arkansas out entirely, and Tennessee just managing to make the cut? Florida State eighth in the nation after needing an Emerald Bowl just to secure a winning record in '06?

Then again, we all laughed when Phil said Arkansas was going to be the shit last year, so maybe I should just shut up.

Y'all's thoughts?

(Previous thoughts and analysis -- most of which is still applicable, shockingly -- can be read here.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd be so glad to see my Seminoles at #24. I sure hope Phil's on to something putting Florida State at #8, now that Jeff "The Albatross" Bowden has been removed as offensive coordinator.

Anonymous said...

I'm taking Phil's (and EVERYONE'S) ACC predictions this year with a few grains of salt, especially after he MOST ACCURATE-ly predicted FSU vs. Miami in last year's ACCCG. Bold claim, Phil. Way to go for broke.

With that criticism said, don't think I didn't already go buy Phil's 2007 mag.

Jeff Johnson said...

Uhm...Auburn is 14 and Arkansas is 15. Neither are out completely.

Anonymous said...

they are in steele's poll, which is why they dropped below UGA. duhurrr