Yesterday morning it came -- my new 20GB Apple iPod. Thus for the first time in my life I got something cool before every freaking person I know got one.
And it seemed like the perfect time to do what all the cool kids are doing -- put the sucker on Shuffle and write down the first 10 songs it plays. Thus the first 10 songs to be listened to on my iPod were:
1. Pet Shop Boys, "Disco Potential"
2. The Strokes, "Is This It"
3. Fluke, "Absurd"
4. R.E.M., "Let Me In"
5. Steely Dan, "Reeling In the Years"
6. Nu Shooz, "I Can't Wait"
7. Thievery Corporation, "Focus On Sight"
8. A Flock of Seagulls, "I Ran (So Far Away)"
9. Underworld, "Something Like a Mama"
10. Underworld, "Mo Move" (Hernan Cattaneo Re-Edit)
Huh. I'm guessing these lists are sort of supposed to give people an idea what kind of music you really like, but this one is pretty damn inscrutable. Aside from the fact, of course, that it lets on a) I like Underworld enough for the machine to pick out two of their songs in a row out of more than 1,200 and b) I have a fetish for the cheesiest of cheesy '80s pop songs that's probably making my friends very ashamed of me right now.
Oh, well. I guess I should just count myself lucky the iPod didn't dig up those Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson tracks I had on th . . . uh, I mean, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.