Wednesday, March 17

"But we were on a break!"

I feel like I've written this post four or five times already -- "Sorry for the lack of posting over the last few weeks, here are some lame and only tangentially relevant excuses" -- but it may bear repeating once again, because I've come to a decision about the blog: I'm taking it offline for the next few weeks while I try to slam an adrenaline needle, "Pulp Fiction"-style, into my job search.

I've been examining and re-examining things that could make me a more viable candidate for the various jobs I've tried for recently, and without meaning to overdramatize this, when I'm potentially going up against several dozen candidates for a given position -- all of whom are just as desperate as I am, some of whom may be just as qualified -- even something as simple as this blog could mean the difference between making the final cut for an opening and not making it. I mean, though it may not always seem like this is the case, I don't go out of my way to offend people on here. And I don't think I've posted anything here that would automatically red-flag me as unqualified, unstable, or a threat to the security of the republic. But if a job came down to me and another guy with 15 years of writing/editing experience, and the hiring manager is sitting there thinking, "Well, there's this guy who dropped a bunch of F-bombs over a Georgia football loss last fall, and this guy who apparently has never done anything like that" -- I'd hate to think I missed out on a job over something that picayune. But it could happen.

And it's not like y'all are going to be missing out on much, at my current rate of production, at least. Between hunting for jobs and recent co-captaining gigs at EDSBS and Dr. Saturday, my output here has slowed down to the point where this blog has basically become a glorified Tumblr page, and I've been torn between being frustrated over that and really not being inspired enough to do anything about it. This isn't euthanasia, it's merely a hibernation, by the end of which this blog will hopefully emerge refreshed, re-energized, re-inspired and, God willing, written by a person with a steady income.

So Hey Jenny Slater goes behind the wall at midnight tonight (OOH DRAMA), and if you're really starved for my cranky outbursts in the meantime, you can follow me on Twitter or over at EDSBS or Dr. Saturday, where I hope to maintain a healthy contribution level during the interminable football offseason. I'm sure I'll also be popping up like a bad penny at Holly's joint. (I know what you're thinking: "Doug, if you're really so concerned about maximizing your employability, why would you allow yourself to be filmed singing along and doing a really gay dance to an Erasure song in your car?" All I can say is the heart wants what it wants, I guess, and at that moment my heart wanted to sing along and do a really gay dance to an Erasure song in my car.)

Thanks to those of you who have hung with this blog through the recent lean months, and I promise it'll be back eventually. For now it's time to regroup and light a fire under myself in a number of other areas. Your thoughts and prayers during that period will be appreciated, and when Hey Jenny Slater does come back, I will do my best to reward your patience by ensuring that it doesn't suck too terribly hard.

Peace.

13 comments:

Deanna said...

Good luck on your job search! I'll be here when you get back.

Reed said...

Continued best wishes on the job search, Doug. We look forward to your return to these pages, more becuase it will signal success in the hunt than any of the other great reasons. You'll get your break soon.

Suerte con todo!

RusDawg said...

Good luck on the job search.

Also, don't pull an Urban Meyer on this one. Stick to your guns and get you a job.

Ally said...

Sux that it has to be this way, but i totally understand. Before i landed my job a few months back, one of the questions in the 2nd interview was: "Tell us about your online presence." My tweets & facebook acct have been locked ever since.

As always, you're in my daily prayers & i'm hoping you get the job you want asap! Many blessings my friend.

Lulucarrot said...

Still think you are one of the funniest guys I know! Good luck! Erica

ehyou said...

This sux. I demand to be entertained!!

Ollllddude said...

I was looking at your resume Mr. Gillett, and our people have done a little background check. What exactly do you have against toasters?

Seriously, good luck.

Zen Bubba said...

Well damn, one more job lost to the Bush recession.

Universal Remonster said...

Good luck bro. I suppose I'll have to find other ways to waste my time for a spell. Happy St. Patricks day.

Jake said...

Yes, very unfortunate. You will be missed. I went back for my MBA a few years back and one thing that was pounded into my head was to consider how employers view my online presence. Sux but thats our world today. I have locked down all of my online social networks. If you are taking this step, then I would encourage you to lock down your other network as well, like Twitter.

Good luck.

Kristen said...

I'll miss the blog terribly but wish you all the best! Email when you a sec though -- I have breaking Egg Bowl news...

Cousin Pat said...

The only way around this is to make sure everyone has an obnoxious online presence.

Dang. I will miss this blog. Good luck on the job search!

Jon said...

Good luck Doug! Hope to see you back here soon.